Marketing to Mobile CustomersLinda Jenkins, January 05 2015
Your customers are more mobile than ever before, and are using devices such as smartphones and tablets to search, browse, make reservations and buy products. To put this behavior in perspective, consider the fact that smartphone ownership has increased over 80% in the last two years. This is why you need to develop a marketing strategy that accommodates these potential customers.
How People in the US use Mobile Devices
Here are three major points that small business owners need to be aware of:
- According to The Nielsen Company, as of 2014, over 70% of the US population uses smartphones (That is nearly 172 million people).
- Over 65% of young men between the ages of 18 and 30 use smartphones for both browsing and making purchases. (Other users primarily use smartphones for browsing, but may then use a tablet or laptop to complete a purchase. Note that this will change quickly once mobile ordering processes become easier and more prevalent).
...So, if you run any type of business that targets these groups, it is essential that your website and ordering process accommodate the Mobile Web.
Adapting Your Marketing Strategy
Here is a quick overview of how to most effectively target mobile users and make them your customers:
- Ensure that your website is mobile-friendly, and that your ads and graphics use responsive sizing so they look good on all types of devices.
- Regularly view your site from different devices to ensure it looks and operates as you intend.
- Keep social posts short so that they are easily read on smartphones.
- Consider adding SMS/text messaging campaigns to your marketing arsenal.
- Consider creating your own mobile app with geofencing. (If you are not sure what this means, check out this primer on Geofencing ).
- If you use a third-party payment processor, ensure that they can handle mobile payments.
- Realize that FaceBook and YouTube are the most-used Apps, according to comScore. So consider taking advantage of mobile ad opportunities on these networks.
Your potential customers will definitely use new ways to shop via the Mobile Web in 2015 and beyond, so be sure to keep abreast of these changes. Signup for our newsletter below to receive monthly business improvement tips.